Relation between blood sugar level & body weight: Your doctor will never tell

It was mid of 2016 when I started to feel problem in breathing which can be termed as "shortness of breath". On consulting at a super speciality hospital, tests related to heart, lungs were carried out. However, nothing wrong was noticed.

My Kidney Function Test was normal Liver Function Test was somehow normal with slightly elevated SGPT & SGOT. Cholesterol was also slightly increased which also didn't need attention. HbA1C was 7.1 mmol/L. Neither my doctor nor me paid attention towards increased HbA1C results. As my fasting blood sugar levels always remained within under 110 mg/dL mark, I wasn't worried of sugar levels or HbA1C results.

Here, it also requires attention here that my weight was 100 kg & height 5'9" i.e. BMI was 32.7 i.e. I was obese. Also, I am a pure vegetarian. We don't take even garlic/ onion. Further I was diagnosed with "Erosive Gastritis" and was put on Nexpro RD (Once a day) and Prothiaden-25 (in the evening). I continued with these medicines for more than a year. I got relief during this period.

In June 2017, after taking dinner as usual (two dishes & 2-3 rotis), I thought that I should check my post prandial blood sugar. What I saw, was very much surprising and astonishing as well. My post prandial blood sugar level was 286 mg/dL. I was confused with the results. I repeated it next evening. Post prandial blood sugar level was 296 mg/dL this time.

Next morning, fasting sugar level was 116. My family members advised me to see a doctor for further medications. However, having a bad image of doctors in mind, I simply refused to see a doctor. I got my HbA1C tested which was 8 mmol/L. I was very much worried but was convinced not to consult a doctor.

Thanks to Google/ internet, I started reading various online material related to blood sugar levels. I should mention here that I didn't find much on the topic by Indians. What I got from various sources on the web was that type-2 diabetes can be cured if one shifts to low carb diets.

For ascertaining response of my body to different foods, I started testing my blood sugar levels many times a day. What I observed:

1. Fasting sugar: 100 to 115 (once 126)
2. After 2 hours of breakfast (one sandwich with potatoes filled): 220
3. After 2 hours of lunch (2 rotis, one vegetable, one dal & salad): 250
4. In the evening: 65 to 100 with a lot of weakness
5. After 2 hours of dinner: 200 to 290

Now I was very much clear that I was already full of calories/ energy (obese) and require less carbohydrates. I was also confirmed that I was not having Type-1 diabetes as my fasting was not as much higher.

Even after opposition from family members, I started to skip morning breakfast & lunch carbohydrates i.e. I stopped eating potato sandwich in the morning and two rotis (breads) in dinner. Also restricted dinner rotis to two only. Now my eating schedule was as under:

1. Breakfast: 15 to 20 almonds & milk, tea, (added 4 to 5 walnuts later)
2. Lunch: one dal, one vegetable, salad & one fruit.
3. In the evening: one fruit (apple preferably) on the way while returning to home, one tea at home.
4. Dinner: Two vegetable dishes, two rotis. (Reduced roti to one only later)
5. Milk at night.
6. Started walking for atleast 30 minutes daily and set a target of 8000 steps using Google Fit app. It helped me a lot. I preferred walking at night. If not possible outside, walked inside my home for 30 to 45 minutes.
7. I didn't join any gym or any special program for weight loss or blood sugar management.
8. I didn't hesitate in checking my blood sugar levels using glucometer. This only helped me to see response of my body to different foods.

Above lifestyle changes put some difficulties like hunger as well as pressure from family but I didn't listen to anybody and continued as described above. This did a wonderful job for me. Now blood sugar levels started improving drastically. Even, family members are now surprised to see the improvement.

After adhering to low carb diets & disciplined food eating, my experiences are as under (as on January, 2018):
1. Fasting sugar: 90 to 95 mg/dL
2. My hunger disappeared. Six months back, I used to feel very weak if I skip food/ snacks for even an hour.
3. Random sugar always 110 (maximum).
4. My weight has now reduced to 89 kgs only (morning after urination with simple night dress). I have lost 11 kgs in six months.
5. Post prandial sugar after two hours of dinner: 100 to 110 mg/dL only (sometimes upto 135- 140 mg/dL)

Now what I observed and suggest to all:

1. Don't start taking medicines for blood sugar control.
2. Glucometer is the answer to a number of questions related to your body's response to various foods.
3. Don't hesitate in checking your blood sugar levels many times a day as it will help you decide your diet & its components. After establishing your diet, you can leave/ reduce checking of your blood sugar levels.
4. Being obese/ over weight directly influences your blood sugar levels. Excess fat retards your pancreas/ liver work properly.
5. There is a fault in Indian diet menu particularly. We eat a lot of carbohydrates in form of wheat, rice etc. which requires attention immediately.
6. One should walk/ exercise for 30 minutes atleast a day.
7. Don't depend on doctors. Become your own doctor. Monitor yourself at your own.
8. Being in line with big pharmaceutical companies, doctors put people on medication. It can be avoided if proper diet is followed.
9. Low carb foods are the need of the hour.
10. We should try to do our works manually so that calories are burnt.
11. Calories shouldn't be taken in excess.
12. I have brought my post prandial blood sugar levels from around 300 mg/dL to 110 mg/dL. Believe me, it is achievable.

Comments

hspanda said…
Mr Anurag, are u the person who has done a great jo for uploading ramcharit manas in you tube under name ANURAG1903? Give me ur mobile no. I want to talk to u..or else give me ur mail id. I have downloaded 23 files upto 220 episodes. I want also more uotp 408 episodes. my mob # 9437357262 (whatsapp). Kindly contact me in this regard. It will be a great help for hindu community.

Popular posts from this blog

Confusion regarding punching reverse PIN to call police.

What makes India Great?